Swallowing something that contains lead can cause lead poisoning. A child with lead poisoning may:
Some children have no symptoms.
Children who have lead poisoning need to see a doctor and be treated. Even small amounts of lead can cause problems. Lead poisoning causes brain damage that results in:
Lead is most often found in houses built before 1950. These houses were painted with lead-based paint. (This is against the law now.)
When paint chips or peels:
When people remodel or repaint houses built before 1978:
Other sources of lead are air, water, food, and toys: