Acetaminophen is a medicine used to treat pain and fever. Acetaminophen is sold under many brand names. It is found in many medicines, such as pain medicines and cold and flu medicines. It is a safe medicine when given in the right dose. Acetaminophen poisoning happens when your child takes too much acetaminophen.
An overdose of this medicine can seriously damage the liver. If treated right away, your child may recover with no long-term health problems. If liver damage is severe, your child may need a liver transplant.
An overdose can happen if your child:
Your child may not have symptoms for up to 24 hours after taking the medicine. Early symptoms may include:
If not treated right away, symptoms may include:
Your child’s healthcare provider will ask about your child’s symptoms and medical history and examine your child. Your child may have blood tests or urine tests.
If you think that your child has taken too much acetaminophen, call the poison control center at 800-222-1222 or get emergency medical care right away. Take the bottle with you. The sooner your child is treated with medicines, the better your child's chances for recovery.
Do not try to treat your child by yourself. Do not try to make your child vomit.